Maryland Reports Coronavirus Death in Baltimore County
A second Maryland resident has died from the novel coronavirus, Gov. Larry Hogan's office reported Friday.
The victim was a Baltimore County resident in his 60s who had an underlying medical condition.
"This sad passing is a stark reminder of the seriousness of the crisis we face, and it breaks my heart to know that this will not be the last life we lose to this pandemic," Baltimore County Executive Johnny Olszewski said in a statement.
As of Friday morning, Maryland reported 149 confirmed cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. Of those, 13 were in Baltimore County.
“As the number of positive cases in Maryland continues to dramatically rise, we need everyone to take this seriously," Hogan said in a written statement. "This is a public health crisis like nothing we have ever faced before—we are all in this together, and we will get through this together.”
Hogan has issued a series of increasingly stringent restrictions on Maryland residents in an effort to minimize the rate of infection of the highly contagious virus. In one of his latest orders issued Thursday, he banned gatherings of more than 10 people and ordered all shopping malls and event venues closed. He also restricted transit use and who is allowed to enter Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. Earlier in the week, he closed restaurants and bars to all but carry-out orders and ordered all gyms, movie theaters and spas closed.